Tuesday, July 02, 2013

The Essential David Crowder Band: The Elite Eight

We are oh so close.  Just 8 songs remain in the bid to be the greatest Crowder song of all time.  Let's see how it plays out.

#1 No One Like You (Live) VS #3 I Saw The Light (Live)
Not surprisingly, this is a tough call.   At this point, the songs are getting very close in quality.  This is certainly a  match-up that proves that point.  No One Like You is arguably the most well-known Crowder song.  You hear this one at every concert, and it's always one of the biggest reactions.  I Saw The Light is equally exciting in concert, because it has that bluegrass, foot-stompin' appeal.  Ultimately, though, I have to go with No One Like You.  It's one of the Crowder songs that has just lasted and still has major appeal.
No One Like You advances

#2 Church Music-Dance! VS #5 A Beautiful Collision
This is another interesting one.  Two very different styles here, which is not surprising considering it's the Grab Bag Region.  So, how to decide it?  This one ultimately comes down to A Beautiful Collision's superior lyrics.  It's a good song, and it's a deep song.  Church Music is fun, and it's not an empty fun, but it's definitely not on the same level lyrically.
A Beautiful Collision advances

#1 How He Loves VS #3 Here Is Our King
This was really the "region of death" in this bracket.  So many great songs throughout the tournament have gone down.  And yet another one has to.  And this is not an easy one to decide.  Both songs have major appeal on all levels.  They're lyrically solid, the music fits so well with said lyrics, and the vocals are excellent.  So, how to decide?  This one comes down to the vocals.  I think they are a hair better in How He Loves.  This isn't too surprising, as it's a bit deeper in DCB's career.  Nevertheless, it's just enough of a difference to push it forward in this tough, tough match-up.
How He Loves advances

#1 All Creatures #2 VS #2 Never Let Go
Again, such a close match-up.  I don't really know how to choose in this one.  These songs are truly on an equal level for me.  I think the only thing I can point to on this one is that I may slightly prefer the "drop down, then build" aspect in the middle of All Creatures to the slow build of Never Let Go.  Seriously, that's the thing I have to point to to make a decision on this one.  It's that close.
All Creatures #2 advances

So we are down to 4.  Three #1 seeds have made it, and a surprise #5 seed as well.  So what will the ultimate Crowder songs be?  The updated bracket shows us where we've been, and next time we'll see how it all ends.

No comments: