Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Top 50 Singles Of 2013, Part 4: #20-#11

We've hit some great songs already, but now we're in to the cream of 2013's crop.  Let's see what was so great about #20-#11:

*Any song marked with an asterisk is still on the weekly Top 20.

#20: Cross My Mind by Twin Forks
Weeks On Chart: 10* 
Peak Position: #1 (4 weeks)
This one would have ended up even higher on the list if it had become a single even a few weeks earlier.  It just finished up a month-long run in the top spot, and is still #2 on the current chart.  Nevertheless, in 10 weeks so far, this track has already proven its mettle.  And it's certainly hard to argue with.  After all, it's Chris Carrabba (For the uninformed, that would be the former lead singer of Futher Seems Forever, and he's most well-known as the lead singer of Dashboard Confessional).  More than that, though, it's bluegrass.  Those two things combined lead to a very tasty ear treat.


#19: House Of Gold by Twenty|One|Pilots
Weeks On Chart: 17
Peak Position: #5
Twenty One Pilots broke through in a big way last year with the incredibly enjoyable Holding On To You.  However, this song takes the band into a different sound, and it works equally well.  The acoustic flavor of this one is terrific, and it highlights the vocal range of lead singer Tyler Joseph.  This is a band with a lot of potential, and they show it, even in a stripped down way, on this track.




#18: That's My Jam by Relient K (Featuring Owl City)
Weeks On Chart: 13
Peak Position: #1 (1 week)
Relient K came back in a very odd way in 2013.  The way I described this album was like the rebellious child acting out, because the vast majority of the disc is a slightly darker musical style with a lot darker lyrical tones than fans are used to.  However, one standout track from the disc was actually a bonus track on the iTunes version.  This single was a perfect example of the silly fun that can be had on a Relient K CD.  The clever working of the lyrics to include a variety of 90's musical artists and songs was done very well, and Owl City's stylings work perfectly with Relient K's own leanings.  Put together, this made for a very fun track.

#17: I Want Crazy by Hunter Hayes
Weeks On Chart: 16
Peak Position: #2
Country makes another appearance on the chart, and this is another case of the right kind of country being done the right way.  Contrary to popular belief, not everything is trucks, dogs and booze in country music (Although we'll get to that last one a bit higher in the countdown...).  The combination of Hunter Hayes' great vocal abilities combined with some very uplifting lyrics that are likely to make most any woman swoon, I Want Crazy is a flat out fun song.



#16: Ghost by Darling Parade
Weeks On Chart: 17
Peak Position: #2
I'm not a huge fan of "pop" music.  When I say that, I'm not referring to "popular" or "Top 40" music; there's a fair amount of stuff that I do enjoy that will be found in those categories.  What I mean is that I'm not a fan of the super-produced, pop-style stuff (I can say with a fair amount of confidence you'll never see Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus on my personal charts).  Because of that, it's not often that I find songs that I enjoy that also happen to have a female lead.  This song is one of the exceptions.  Darling Parade hit it hard with some excellent female vocals in the alternative stylings that I am much more likely to enjoy, and Ghost thrived because of that mix.

#15: Babel by Mumford & Sons
Weeks On Chart: 16
Peak Position: #1 (2 weeks)
I'd love to tell you that I'm one of those people who knew about Mumford & Sons before The Cave became a massive success last year.  I'm not.  However, the bluegrass, bass drum-thumping style of this band hits me just the right way.  And it was done very well yet again in 2012/2013.  Babel, the title track from the disc, is a really solid showing of the talent throughout the entire group.  The music is fantastic, the lyrics are deeper than your typical catchy pop track, and the vocals blend perfectly with both of these elements.  This track ended up at #1 during its run, and rightfully so.  It's a terrific song.


#14: Restore by Chris August
Weeks On Chart: 18
Peak Position: #1 (1 week)
This was one of the tracks that made it on to the re-debut of my weekly chart, and it made its way up steadily, eventually tracking all the way to #1.  And why wouldn't it?  This ode to staying together, even in the worst of times, and allowing God to work wonders in a marriage...I mean, do I really need to say any more than that?  The lyrics alone made this song a heartbreaker, and Chris does the vocals justice, giving this song a proper place in the Christian music realm.



 #13: Build Your Kingdom Here by Rend Collective Experiment
Weeks On Chart: 15*
Peak Position: #1 (4 weeks)
Bluegrass musical styles made a big dent on this year's list, and I don't think you can blame me.  Bluegrass is such a fun style of music, and it gets your foot stomping on the ground (Or perhaps makes you want to dance like a fool).  And providing that style with innovative worship songs adds up to a really, really enjoyable experience.  So it is with Rend Collective Experiment.  This song has it all; the music is great, the vocals are pleasant, and the lyrics are deeper than your everyday worship tune, while maintaining an element of catchiness.  It is certainly one of my favorite worship tunes of 2013, and easily made this list.
 #12: Recovery by Frank Turner
Weeks On Chart: 18
Peak Position: #1 (1 week)
English artists don't normally work for me.  Say what you will, but I often have a hard time getting past the accent for whatever reason.  That's not the case with this track, though.  If anything, this is one of those instances where I think the accent added to my enjoyment of what is a very upbeat track for lyrics that are actually a bit depressing.  Recovery is about exactly that: making your way down the long road to recovery.  The blend of depression and hope in this track made for a really enjoyable listen this year, and it made for one of the bigger hits in my 2013.


 #11: Dance With Me Tonight by Olly Murs
Weeks On Chart: 17
Peak Position: #1 (2 weeks)
The songs that I enjoy the most throughout the course of a year tend to be the songs that have some defining element that sets them apart from most of the typical radio fodder.  Sometimes it's the lyrics or an incredible vocal.  Other times, it's a truly unique musical style.  In this case, it's actually throwing back to a musical style that hasn't been popular in a while.  The big band flavor of this track is so unique compared to radio today.  This isn't a track you're going to hear in the club while grinding on random drunkards.  This is a track that makes you want to dress up in your classiest outfit, head to a dance hall, and start swinging!  This unique style in the current market made this track into an instant success. 

No comments: