Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Essential David Crowder Band: The Round Of 64, Part 1: The Live Region

Alright, here we go.  64 of DCB's best.  They've been seeded and separated into the regions.  And now we start eliminating some songs.  Let's do it, starting with the live region:

#1 No One Like You (Live) VS #16 How Great (Direct From Satellite City)
I don't think it will come as any surprise which way this one goes.  There's a reason one of these songs is #1 and one is #16.  No One Like You absolutely cruises through this round, and rightfully so.  It is one of the quintessential Crowder songs, and it's bound to go far in this tournament.  No real contest here.
No One Like You (Live) advances

#2 Foreverandever, Etc. (Live) VS #15 Every Move I Make
Every Move I Make is the perfect old school youth group song.  People make motions for it, they add in "woo hoo's" (As is the case in this version), and so much more.  That being said, Foreverandever, Etc. is a supremely excellent example of the live David Crowder Band experience.  The song itself is very enjoyable and easy to sing along to.  But it's the addition of the 80's stylings in the middle that really take this song over the top.
Foreverandever, Etc. (Live) advances

#3 I Saw The Light (Live) VS #14 Sing Like The Saved
Already I'm getting into songs that I'm disappointed I have to eliminate.  Sing Like The Saved is a fun live song.  It really is.  But, come on...we're talking about foot stompin' bluegrass, complete with "the complicated rhythm structure known as 'The Boom-Chuck, Boom-Chuck.'"  It's just too tough to beat that right now.
I Saw The Light (Live) advances

#4 ...Neverending... (Live) VS #13 I Need Words/God Of Wrath (Live)
Another enjoyable lower-seeded song (Or, in this case, combination of songs).  But it's no competition in this round, plain and simple.
...Neverending... (Live) advances

#5 Like A Lion VS #12 You Alone (Live)
I'm willing to bet that more people know Like A Lion because Newsboys' version got played on the radio.  But you'll never convince me that it's a better version than Crowder's version from Passion.  And, as great as You Alone is as a worship song, Like A Lion is just better for me.  In this case, bigger (Musically speaking) is definitely better.
Like A Lion advances

#6 I'm Trying To Make You Sing (Live) VS #11 Undignified (Live)
Undignified is another fun youth group-style song.  It makes you want to get up and dance.  But, in this instance, I'll take what I view as simply an excellent call to worship type of song.
I'm Trying To Make You Sing (Live) advances

#7 Shadows (Feat. Lecrae) VS We Win! (Live)
Man, this one is tough.  Both of these versions of these songs are excellent.  The live atmosphere is the ideal spot for We Win!, with the addition of the echoes and a hot crowd.  And the addition of Lecrae on this version of Shadows takes that song into an awesomely different realm in the worship genre.  So, how to choose?  Well, ultimately, I have to go with the better song.  And, in a match-up like this, I'll go to the lyrics.  And, when it comes to that, We Win! just doesn't hold up.  It's a fun song, but Shadows has more depth to it.
Shadows (Feat. Lecrae) advances

#8 You Are My Joy (Live) VS #9 I Will Not Be Silent/Make A Joyful Noise
Not surprisingly, the 8/9 match-up is a tough one to decide.  When the songs are this close, it's because they're nearly equal in my eyes.  So, what to choose?  The rock opera-ish song that builds big multiple times, or the sing-along song(s)?  In this case, I'm going to lean toward the sing-along.
I Will Not Be Silent/Make A Joyful Noise advances

And there we go.  Eight songs move on, eight songs are now gone.  Next time, we'll check out the Grab Bag Region.  And, if you're interested, here's the bracket as it stands:

The Bracket: round of 64, Part 1

Hopefully you're enjoying this so far.  I know I am!

No comments: